Thursday, March 19, 2009

I do surveys

As far back as I can remember, I have always found myself enamoured by data. Statistics. Sheer numbers. Organizing everything according to size, color, shape, batting average. I once recorded every inning of an 81 game season I played on Nintendo's Bases Loaded (my cleanup hitter, Norton, banged out 70 dingers that year). Pouring over the data, breaking records, compiling numbers. Not statistics dealing with odds or probabilities, just stats.

Surveys are a statistical gathering method, so naturally, when opportunity presented itself I took advantage. I'd feverishly fill out every survey that came to our door, be it by mail or in person. Sometimes surveyors would come to our house and ask "Are you the man of the house?" Well, if there was a survey to be had, the answer was "Yes I am!" (I guess they didn't notice or question how a 12-year old kid wearing pajamas was able to keep a house in the country). I even filled out questionnaires about my favorite brands of cigarettes, and for it, the company mailed me nine crisp one dollar bills. This survey thing was paying off.

I've done the Nielson ratings, internet and phone surveys, and been asked to try out new household products. People often made fun of me for taking the time to fill them out, but it was worth it. I'd occasionally be rewarded with coupons, products, cash, or more surveys. Last year I even won a $100 to a local Trek store. It was like a coke-head winning free crack and no one laughed at me after that.

I don't do as many surveys as I used to, I just don't have the time. Instead, I'm more selective. Internet surveys often result in an inbox filled with junk mail and little chance of reward (there are simply too many entries). I limit myself to local, phone, and mail surveys where my odds are better. Try it. I promise that the first time you win a hundred (or nine) bucks you'll be hooked too.

1 comment:

  1. It took you like 20 years to hit the jackpot. Does that really make it worth it?

    ReplyDelete