Saturday, March 7, 2009

Ode to Odometer

Turn turn odometer turn,
with every revolution,
gas you will burn.

The odometer. Is there anything more intriguing? Like a hamster mindlessly running on a wheel, so too does my mind wander. Call me a simpleton, but much achievement is brought to me when I turn over the miles. Thankfully, I'm lucky enough to have an older car; one with the analog type odometer, and therein lies the beauty of it all. Putting miles on a car. Watching the next mile tick over. Watching the gas gauge dwindle down thinking, "whoo-hoo, I made it! My car has lasted another mile!"

The newer digital odometers spoil some of the fun. You can't watch them rollover, they just change. You can't anticipate that next mile. You can't push over the ones, tens, hundreds, etc. Nope. Regardless with every passing mile, you can rest assured that you're getting your full nickel. With every passing mile, there are new games to be played. Try it.

Play odometer poker. Look a full house! Four of a kind! A straight! Look for palindromes. 123321 hoorah! The best is undoubtedly when you rollover the thousands, ten thousands, even hundred thousands. Score! Time for an oil change. Better get the tires rotated. Where would we be without the odometer?

No comments:

Post a Comment