Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Out like a Lamb

March is probably easily like my most favorite month. Be it because of being my birth month (which I also share with my dad and my son) or being the start of spring, March has always held a special place in my book. I still remember being introduced to the Lion-Lamb concept in Mrs. Mehafee's first grade class. The class would vote on what we thought the previous day was and tally the lions and lambs at the end of the month. Not understanding the concept, I always voted lion (lions are way cooler than lambs). I didn't care, it was a win-win situation: lambs winning meant great weather, lions winning meant maybe a snow day and defeating the lambs!

March is the month when the snowy, short days of winter turn to the crisp and sunny days of spring. The time of the year just before the unstable late afternoon thunderstorms of April through June rolled in. Barnyard football turned to backyard baseball, and if you were lucky, a freak snowstorm got you a snow day on your birthday or extended your spring break.

With no chance of a snow day down here, the month came in like a lion: dreary, rainy, and cold, but quickly turned to lamb-like conditions and reshaped my attitude. Like the green grass or the budding trees, I am reborn. Looking forward to the busy spring and summer ahead, now I'm a lamber.

1 comment:

  1. We used to have to draw charts with Lions and Lambs. I was with you on the Lions. Way cooler. I am now a lamber too. I wonder if the NFL should consider adding a team called the Lambs, just so the Lions might have a shot at beating someone... oh wait, they can just play the Bengals.

    ReplyDelete